ViCEM Award for Best PhD Thesis in "Engineering in Medicine"
Best PhD Thesis Awardee 2019
Emir Benca, Fracture load prediction in patients with metastatic lesions in the femur using finite element analysis (Supervision: Dieter Pahr (TU) & Winfried Mayr, Reinhard Windhager (MU))
Sonja Baumgartner, Development of a 3D-printing process for colored dental ceramics and selective modification of polymers (Supervision: Jürgen Stampfl ( TU) & Andreas Schedle (MU))
Florian Thürk, Individualization and optimization of electrical impedance tomography and improvement of biosignal management and analysis in the clinical setting (Supervision: Eugenijus Kaniusasl ( TU) & Stefan Böhme (MU))
Call for Applications
The Vienna Center for Engineering in Medicine, a cooperation center between TU Wien and MedUni Wien, announces the initiation of the ViCEM Award for the Best PhD Thesis in “Engineering in Medicine”.
Applications are requested for PhD thesis with a defense date not earlier than June 2016 and not later than the application deadline.
Applicants have to fulfill the following criteria:
- TU Wien and/or Meduni Wien involved
- topic associated with "engineering in medicine"
further evaluation criteria:
- scientific excellence with potential future impact on the broad international scale
- involvement of both an engineering and medical supervisor
- publications in inter-disciplinary international peer-reviewed journals
- involvement in inter-disciplinary joint projects
The award is aimed at promoting and highlighting highly innovative PhD projects at the crossroads of engineering and medicine, and bestows a certificate and € 2,000 to the applicant.
Applications for the award need to include:
- filled in application form
- a pdf-copy of the PhD thesis
- letters of recommendation of both the engineering and the medical supervisor
and have to be submitted to vicem(at)tuwien.ac.at by September 13, 2019, at the latest.
The ViCEM coordination team together with the ViCEM faculty will evaluate the applications and prepare a list of finalists. Those finalists will be invited to present their PhD thesis in the framework of the biennial meeting of ViCEM taking place on November 14-15, 2019 which will close with the awards ceremony.