The Vienna Center for Engineering in Medicine, a cooperation center between TU Wien and MedUni Wien, announces the second ViCEM Award for the Best PhD Thesis in “Engineering in Medicine”.
Applications are requested for PhD thesis with a defense date not earlier than September 13, 2019 (previous application deadline) and not later than the current application deadline.
Applicants have to fulfill the following criteria:
- TU Wien and/or MedUni Wien involved
- topic associated with "engineering in medicine"
further evaluation criteria:
- scientific excellence with potential future impact on the broad international scale
- involvement of both an engineering and medical supervisor
- publications in inter-disciplinary international peer-reviewed journals
- involvement in inter-disciplinary joint projects
The award is aimed at promoting and highlighting highly innovative PhD projects at the crossroads of engineering and medicine, and bestows a certificate and € 2,000 to the applicant.
Applications for the award need to include:
- filled in application form
- a pdf-copy of the PhD thesis
- letters of recommendation of the engineering and the medical supervisor
and have to be submitted to vicem(at)tuwien.ac.at by February 10, 2023, at the latest.
The ViCEM coordination team together with the ViCEM faculty will evaluate the applications and prepare a list of finalists. Those finalists will be invited to present their PhD thesis in the framework of a ViCEM event taking place in spring 2023.
Emir Benca, Fracture load prediction in patients with metastatic lesions in the femur using finite element analysis (Supervision: Dieter Pahr (TU) & Winfried Mayr, Reinhard Windhager (MU))
Sonja Baumgartner, Development of a 3D-printing process for colored dental ceramics and selective modification of polymers (Supervision: Jürgen Stampfl ( TU) & Andreas Schedle (MU))
Florian Thürk, Individualization and optimization of electrical impedance tomography and improvement of biosignal management and analysis in the clinical setting (Supervision: Eugenijus Kaniusasl ( TU) & Stefan Böhme (MU))